Steel buildings are popping up everywhere. Everything from office buildings and industrial structures to homes and sports facilities are being constructed out of steel. It’s obvious why this is the case when you consider the fact that this material is durable and affordable. But you might be wondering whether this alternative material offers the same safety as other common structural construction supplies. Steel buildings offer a superior level of safety not found in other structural materials. It offers an exceptional level of safety standards that is resistant to fire and the elements. Steel also requires less maintenance and is more sustainable than other options.
Not convinced yet? Then read on to discover five reasons why steel buildings are the safest material for structural construction in Indiana:
- High grade material: There’s a reason steel has been the top choice for commercial buildings since the 19th The durability and stability made it the standout when it comes to framing materials and infrastructure. The high quality material is strong enough to stand up to day-to-day wear and tear in addition to the unexpected situations that would wreck most other structures.
- Highest strength-to-weight ratio: Did you know that steel has the highest strength-to-weight ratio out of every common construction material? As a result, the steel components provide extreme strength without the weight and bulk. Architects and engineers then have more latitude to design with safety in mind since they don’t have to worry about the limitations of the material.
- Fire safe: Choosing structural steel construction in Indiana could prevent a fire from turning into a major tragedy. Steel is fire-resistant, which slows the spread of fire more than a traditional wood or cement building. While those seconds might not seem like much now, they could buy enough time until the local fire department arrives to extinguish the blaze. Best of all, many insurance carriers offer a discount if steel is the primary building material because of its fire resistance.
- Weather proof: Extreme winds could mean the end for many buildings, but high-grade steel is immune to its effect. The strong material, when combined with high quality construction techniques, can perform tremendously well in high winds because it is ductile, which allows it to bend without actually breaking. You’ll have the peace of mind that comes with knowing your building is safe even in some of the most devastating tornadoes.
- Minimal maintenance: Over time, the safety of a wood building decreases as it begins to require more and more maintenance. That’s not the case with steel. Steel buildings require minimal maintenance and don’t deteriorate the same way wood does. The interior is able to combat a variety of other threats, such as termites, mold and rot. The structural integrity will remain decades after construction is completed. As a result, steel is one of the most cost-effective options.
It’s clear steel is the safest and most economical option for construction. If you’ve got a project that requires structural steel construction in Indiana, contact the team at Benchmark Fabricated Steel today to learn more about your options.
Categorised in: Steel Construction
This post was written by Writer