The Benefits of Steel Construction in IndianaAugust 21, 2018 9:23 pm Leave your thoughts
Do you have an upcoming building project? You are likely considering what sorts of materials you’ll be using during the course of the project, which will include a full-on cost comparison between the various types of materials. Steel remains one of the most popular building materials and a powerful way for contractors and owners alike to save money and ensure a durable, long-lasting, high-quality result.
With this in mind, here are a few of the biggest benefits of steel construction in Indiana:
- Environmentally friendly: Structural steel has long been considered the world’s premier green construction material. Its use helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The steel industry is also a worldwide leader in the use of recycled materials and end-of-material-life recycling. The recycled content in structural steel columns and beams made at mills across the United States averages 88 percent, with a recycling rate of 98 percent. So if you care about eco-friendliness in your construction, steel is the way to go.
- Lower costs: Steel helps you lower costs in a variety of ways. You can save on foundation costs by using steel framing, because it’s significantly lighter and less expensive. The general contractor can save on overhead costs because steel results in a shorter construction process. Those savings can then be passed down to the owner. Because the construction time is shorter, the interest costs on financing for the project will also be reduced for owners. In addition, the shorter construction time allows for earlier occupancy, increasing the owner’s income. Finally, shorter construction leads to savings on property expenses while the owner is waiting for occupancy to start filling up.
- Flexibility: Changing occupancy requires you to have the flexibility to meet new requirements for your space. Steel allows for this flexibility to come much easier than other types of materials. This also means for less costly changes during the construction process. In addition, you can get more rentable square footage using longer steel spans and fewer, smaller columns.
- Durability: Steel offers outstanding protection against the effects of temperature changes—you won’t have to worry about extreme temperature swings doing any damage to the steel framing. It is also simply built to last for decades. You know what you’re getting every time you work with steel—its quality is consistent, predictable and reliable.
- Easier to work with: Steel has an unparalleled level of workability when it comes to its usage in a construction environment. Steel beam web penetrations can easily be made to accommodate HVAC ducts, reducing the total height of the building to create less cost. The framing can also be prefabricated off site, which means easier and less expensive labor, inspection and construction.
These are just a few of the biggest reasons why you might consider opting for steel construction in Indiana for your next project. If you’re interested in learning more about the services we provide or why steel is your best option, we encourage you to contact the team at Benchmark Fabricated Steel today with your questions.
Categorised in: Steel Construction
This post was written by Writer