As a steel construction company in Indiana, we often field questions about how steel buildings work, and what their pros and cons are. Through talking with potential clients, we have learned that there are quite a few common myths out there about steel construction in Indiana!
Fortunately, all you need to do to get the facts is talk to an expert. We are always happy to talk curious customers through the truth about steel construction, and we welcome all your questions. But we thought it’d be helpful to put together a quick list about some of the most common misconceptions out there about steel buildings.
With that in mind, here are six myths we’ve heard countless times about steel buildings, along with the truth about those myths:
- They’re flimsy: Have you ever had someone tell you that steel buildings are cheap and flimsy? Well, here’s the truth: if you buy a prefabricated steel building from a reputable, experienced manufacturer, then you will be getting one of the strongest building options available to you.
- They aren’t energy efficient: This is one of the silliest myths out there about steel buildings. We pair our steel buildings with cutting-edge insulation technology, including infrared pigments in the roof that will help reflect sunlight, so it doesn’t get too hot inside your building in the summer.
- They’re too loud: You might reasonably think that rain, hail, snow, wind and other elements would sound like a racket when you are inside a metal building. But that couldn’t be further from the truth, because insulation helps soundproof the building. So, as long as your metal building is insulated, you do not have to worry about this problem.
- They attract lightning: As a steel construction company in Indiana, folks often ask us if our products attract lightning. It’s understandable why you might think that, because metal is an electrical conductor. But it’s actually a positive conductor to the earth, meaning that lightning would be channeled to the ground if it hit your metal building. In fact, a metal building is among the safest places to be in the event of a lightning storm!
- They get rusty over time: Sure, some old-school metal buildings tend to collect rust as they get older. But modern steel buildings receive a special chemical coating that prevents rust from developing, so you will not have to stress over this issue.
- They interfere with Wi-Fi and cellphones: Here’s the thing: metal does not interfere with electromagnetic waves. If it did, you’d have trouble using your cell phone in every grocery store or office building!
Hopefully, you now have a little bit of a better idea of how steel buildings work, and what their advantages are. But if you have concerns about steel construction in Indiana that are not mentioned on this list, then we hope you will contact the team at Benchmark Fabricated Steel. We have many years of experience working with clients and giving them the best steel buildings for their needs, and we look forward to working with you as well!
Categorised in: Steel Construction
This post was written by Writer